Thursday, November 7, 2013

What is SARDS? Unfortunately, it entails more than just going blind ...

Most Recent Pic of Bella!

November 5, 2013

So, I feel a little silly in that I realized after my last post ... I wrote about what I took away from the vet visit when Bella was diagnosed and that I would give more information about SARDS, but I didn't really explain what SARDS is.  Doh!  Can you tell I'm new to blogging?

What is SARDS?  (Most of the below is directly from "Living With Blind Dogs" by Caroline Levin)

The first cases were diagnosed in the 1980's.  It involves a deterioration of the rods and cones and is a bilateral disease (affects both eyes).  Owners of dogs with SARDS report that their dogs seemed to go blind suddenly or overnight (Bella had early symptoms of vision loss, but total blindness happened overnight).  There is very little warning and little time for the dog to adjust to this sudden change.

It frequently affects middle-age females in the age range of six to ten years (Bella will be 8 in January).  It is not limited to specific breeds and usually results in complete and total blindness.  While it is not physically painful, many owners report concurrent health problems such as excessive thirst, hunger, weight gain, insomnia, confusion, seizures, muscle weakness (rear leg weakness, incontinence or cardiac problems), panting, pacing, calcium deposits, skin and coat changes, hearing loss, and lethargy.  These are all symptoms of excess cortisol production (the natural steroid hormone produced by the adrenal glands to soothe irritation).  As of now, Bella is exhibiting confusion, rear leg weakness, shaking, skin and coat changes, hearing issues (not sure that it's loss, but she struggles to figure out where sound is coming from and will sometimes go the wrong direction when called) and as I  mentioned in my previous blog, lethargy is a major issue. 

The cause of SARDS is still unproven and assumed to be a non-genetic condition (*note:  though Bella's mother did not have SARDS, she did have Cushing's disease which as you will read shortly is often related to SARDS).  Researchers describe the actual mechanism of degeneration as apoptosis or programmed cell death.  Cellular damage occurs for a variety of reasons including damage to the DNA material or to the membrane, oxidative stress (free radical damage), exposure to radiation, noxious chemicals, or improper nutrition.  When the body detects such damage to a cell, the hormone cortisol crosses the cell membrane and initiates the programmed, self-destruct message. 

Therefore, we must question why dogs produce excess cortisol.  The most well-known reason is a tumor of the pituitary or adrenal glands (Cushing's disease).  Another reason is chronic stress.

Behavioral symptoms of SARDS include hesitancy to jump, failure to judge distance, and bumping into objects.  High cortisol levels are also known to damage brain-cell function.  This can cause symptoms that might be mistaken for behavioral problems such as depression, aggression, fear and confusion.  Owners may become frustrated with SARDS dogs.  The dog may make poor, slow progress.  Excess cortisol hampers these dogs in ways that other blind dogs are not.

In some cases, signs of excess cortisol precede or accompany the vision loss but later dissipate (hopeful that this will be the case with Bella).  In other cases, signs of excess cortisol production continue or worsen.  This scenario may lead to additional health problems.

Tests most commonly performed to evaluate cortisol production are those used to diagnose Cushing's disease - again, a condition in which a tumor grows on the pituitary or adrenal glands.  When these blood tests are performed on SARDS dogs, the results can vary.  Sometimes the results come back as normal, borderline or inconclusive.  At other times the tests are positive for Cushing's disease (a tumor).  Occasionally, the tests are initially negative, but indicate a tumor at a later date.  As I also mentioned in the first blog, they did test Bella for Cushing's and it was negative.  I try to remain optimistic about the "negative" result, however, one of the symptoms that Bella's mother had from Cushing's were tiny little growths on her body ... kind of like a skin tag at first, but then they would grow and become quite noticeable and unpleasing to the eye.  It saddens me to say that Bella has now developed several of these (all currently quite small and covered by her hair).  It's concerning.  I know that she will continue to be tested for Cushing's disease periodically and I just have to continue to hope and pray for the best :)

Signing off ... but I'll leave you with some video of Bella going down my front porch steps.  I've been re-training her, and I'm quite proud of her recent progress if I do say so myself!










2 comments:

  1. You are amazing Bella. Thank you for the information. My weatie lost his sight xmas 2018 he also has SARDS. He is adapting slowly and so are we. Your artical gives lots of info that is not told to the owners when the diagnosis is made. Thank you Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This information was so helpful and Bella you are wonderful I have a westie her name is Winnie and a blessing to me I rescue her about 2 years ago It broke my heart when I found one morning she could not see but she is trying to afapt and I am working with her too I love her so much thanks for the info it means alot

    ReplyDelete